Saturday, November 12, 2011

November 12, 2011 ~ Day 338
Rainy Saturday

I've started several posts this week, only to abandon them.

It's hard to think of quality, coherent ideas when you've got a head cold.

Even my brain is dripping...

Yesterday was 11-11-11 though and it felt like such a wonderful moment to hit the re-set button on life and look for things to be grateful for.

Today happens to be a Saturday and rain is pouring in one steady, thick torrent on our cosy little house.

My sons are out in this mess, at their respective soccer games with their dad. Saturday is typically my day with the kiddos and I am so grateful to my husband for giving me a respite from sitting in the rain as I tackle this head cold with Vitamin C and garlic.

Playing soccer in the pouring rain is probably not the best thing for boys that have been pretty sick recently... but since I'm not there with jackets or umbrellas, this feels like a good moment to let go.

Can't control it, might as well not worry about it. I'm sure their dad has things covered. Who knows, they might come home soaked to the bone and feeling completely energized!

I really love the rain. Especially when I don't have to be out in it. Rain is so cleansing and we get very little of it in Southern California. It's a rare treat that my husband and I appreciate.

In fact, we get such little 'real' weather around here that we're really excited to plan a trip to the snow this year! Others who live in the snow may find this sort of adventure to be mundane or silly-sounding ~ but my children have actually never seen snow before, not in person.

They are out-of-their-heads excited about a first trip to the snow.

My own first experience with snow didn't occur until I was 12 or 13 because my father hated snow and avoided it at all costs.

My parents and I took a road trip through a national park during the month of July. There along the roadside we found a few hard, dirty, frozen hillside remnants of snowfall.

"There." My dad gestured toward the crusty old bank.

"Snow. Now you've seen it."

I made my first snowball - more like an ice ball - and threw it at my dad. Who ducked, and got back into the car.

Then we drove on.

I want a better first experience with snow for my own kiddos!
(Mine won't be hard to top.)

* * *

Whenever my sons complain about the frustration they feel in their current life situation (young and at the mercy of our grown-up plans), I actually understand.

I love being an adult because FINALLY I get to do all of the fun stuff I always wanted to do as a kid.

Like go to the snow whenever I feel like it... or decorate our house for the holidays!

That is a big one for me!

My father never let us put up Christmas lights outdoors when I was growing up because he thought they would burn the house down. I don't know what the statistics are on that sort of thing... although I can guarantee you that Dad did. I'm sure he based his decision on something factual and fear-based.

As I rapidly approach the wonderful age of 36, I'm FINALLY going to fulfill my cherished Christmas dream since the age of 6 - putting holiday lights and decorations outside of our house!

Last week I purchased white icicle lights for the outside of our sloping roof and I am really jazzed to get them up. Our street is famous for its holiday displays and I can't wait to be a part of that.

My kids and I also found a large set of new cookie-cutters in fun shapes: stars, trees, snowmen, stockings, hearts... and I can't wait to bust them out and start baking! I (heart) the holiday season!

* * *

My husband and he is now on his way home now with two soaked, extremely muddy boys... one of whom apparently refused to wear his jacket and feels very cold.

Time for me to swing into gear with thick towels, hot showers, lunch and cocoa. I hope someday my three children love the cosy indoor part of rainy days just as much as I do!

I foresee an afternoon of naps, building forts with blankets, playing cards, drawing, cooking and reading stories with my darling partners-in-crime... my kids.

I love rainy Saturdays!

No comments:

Post a Comment