Monday, September 12, 2011

September 12, 2011 ~ Day 277
It Could've Been Worse

Well...

It could've been worse.

Sure, the house was a mess when our landlord stopped by today.

Yes, my cheeks turned a rosy shade of pink when showing him the back yard cluttered with my kid's toys and dirt "castles" among other delights - like string cheese wrappers and a discarded diaper. (Ugh!)

And yes, he did ask me to keep the lawn better watered.

(I had to explain to him how high our water bill is, when we water it enough to keep it green. That was embarrassing.)

But it could've been worse.

My children could have been home raising holy hell. Instead, one was napping and two at school. So I had the opportunity to focus squarely on my conversation with the man - rather than dealing with a crazy tantrum.

That by itself is a huge positive!

Last weekend I did rake, mow and sweep the yard. So while browner than desired, at least it wasn't overgrown and trashy.

Deep down, I really wish we owned our own home.

But then I remember just how lucky we are to rent this house, this special home.

I remember how lucky we are to live in this neighborhood - this wonderful, lovely, friendly neighborhood.

I remember how happy we've been since we arrived here - and I know that will remain true no matter where we live in this community.

So, despite some my obvious failings as a housekeeper, I just need to be thankful for what we Do have.

We are very lucky.

* * * * *



It could've been worse.

Today I found my two year old daughter in the bathroom, having scampered away from where I was cooking in the kitchen. She had been gone for all of a minute, so I went in to see what was happening.

To my horror, she had pried open a cabinet, located a cardboard box (which happened to contain a lab test kit) and was busy playing with the kit pieces. One of them was a vial, a plastic vial. On the cover was a skull and crossbones, with the words "Poison".

My heart stopped, and my mind began to race.

My daughter looked normal. Cheery. She was laughing.

"Honey did you drink this? Did you drink something?"

"No."
She smiled widely, daring me to believe her.

I noticed that the lid of the vial was still screwed on. I am sure my two year old daughter can manage to unscrew any lid... but really, would she have the dexterity to take it off, drink the contents of a vial and then RE-screw it tightly? Doubtful.

I thought about who to call. The pediatrician? Poison control? 9-1-1?

Finally I realized that the right first choice would be the company who made that lab test kit... to discover what, if anything, had been inside that vial.

What a blessing!

They answered on the first ring. The woman at the front put me right through to the microbiologist. I explained the situation, very rapidly.

He asked which test it was, and what color the lid was on the vial.

"Clear," I answered.

"You don't have to worry,"
he responded kindly. "We send out those vials empty, with no liquid. Your daughter is fine."

"Thank you so much, I am so grateful for your help."


Getting off of the telephone, I gave my daughter a long hug and then tried to explain to her why we don't play with bottles in the bathroom.

I then looked through every cupboard in her arm's reach - and even a few beyond her reach - to make sure that she can't get ahold of ANYTHING dangerous. She is clearly making very poor choices, two year old style, about what to monkey with.

I want her to live through the age of two!

So while the incident undoubtedly added a gray hair or two to my head, I think it's clear -

It could've been much worse.

We were blessed, and now we are warned.

* * * * *


When I look back over all of the events of the last few months, I realize that as stressful as they seemed all of them could have been much worse.
  • My son's fingers are healing very well, with no further allergic reactions to his medicine.
  • Our budget crunch led me to begin tutoring again, work I absolutely love.
  • The recent Southern California blackout gave me information about ways in which we need to better prepare for disasters, without having to experience/survive a true disaster.
  • Even my own health problems have led me to a greater understanding of how to eat, exercise and live more fully.

Every single bleak moment has led to something better, a richer understanding of the world, and enhanced gratitude for what we DO have.

So, while I really hope that our skies stay clear for a little while, my faith is growing that even in the soggiest weather there is always a rowboat waiting in the storm to carry our family through the storm toward shelter and beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment