Monday, August 15, 2011

August 15, 2011 ~ Day 248
Sleep? Hahahahahahaha


We've had an early morning at our house today.

Two-year-old early, that is.

Which means morning started around 3am. And then 5am. And finally, 6am.

Our little alarm clock doesn't beep. She makes the strident "Mommeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!" sound and everyone in the house jumps up, wild eyed.

"Is it morning?" my 4 year old asked blearily last night when his sister began to wail.

"No, sweetheart," I mumbled. "Your sister's just having a bad dream."

The first time she called me into their room, she wanted water.

I got her water. I tried to put a blanket over her. She shoved it angrily away. I kissed her good night.

I closed the door.

She then began to scream hysterically.

"IWANMYBLANKEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!"

Sighing, I re-opened the door.

"You want your blanket?"

"Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaah!"


I re-entered the room, put a blanket on her, and turned to walk away.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!"

"What is it?"

"IWANMYBODDLE!"

"I just gave you your bottle. See? Here it is next to you. Good night, honey."


Again, I left the room and went back to bed.

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!"

I returned swiftly, so she wouldn't awaken her brother again.

"Honey, what's wrong?"

"A MONSTER! MOMMEEEEE A MONSTER!!!"

"Honey, there is no monster."

"IWANMYDADAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

"You want your Daddy?"

"Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah!"

"Honey, Daddy is sleeping right now. You will see him in the morning."

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


Through the darkness I heard my husband's muffled, exhausted voice.

"Bring her in here if you want, so we can all go back to sleep."

Sigh. Sleeping with the 2 year old. Not the most restful slumber, as any parent can tell you.

"Yay, Dada!" she jumped out of bed and padded down the hall in her jammy-feet.

Climbing into our big bed she positioned herself in my normal place and began to wiggle her little arms and legs to get comfortable.

I squeezed into the narrow space between our daughter and my husband and tried to go back to sleep. My daughter continued to stretch this way and that.

Suddenly I felt little feet begin to kick my back.

I turned toward the little head resting on my pillow.

"Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???"

"HI MAMA!"
she giggled.

I groaned. "It's bedtime..." and rolled over again.

"OH! It BEDTIME? O-kay, MAMA!"

For one blissful minute, silence.

Then, she began to sing.

"LaLaMaMaBedTime! Lalabebamama da!"


I went to stuff a pillow on top of my head, then remembered that my pillow was now tucked under my daughter's head.

"This isn't going to work," I moaned crankily. Grabbing a blanket, I dragged it out to the couch in the next room, since one of my other children was sound asleep in the third bedroom.

"ByeBye Mama! Nih Nih!" the two year old called after me.

Burying my head into the couch pillows I wrapped up in my single blanket and fell into a fitful slumber.

I know I actually fell asleep because in the moments that followed I found myself telling my best friend over a cup of coffee at our favorite coffee shop from high school how my daughter hadn't been sleeping recently and it was driving us nuts. She nodded in sympathy.

Suddenly,

Somebody knocked on my back.

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

I rolled over. A small face peered into mine.

"MAMA I WANNA MY BRUDDER!"

"Wha...?"

"I WANNA IN MY WOOM! I WAN GO BACKA MY WOOM!"

"You want to go back in your room? Are you going to go to bed?"
I realized how happy I would be to get off of the couch and back into my own bed. I stood up.

"Yeaaaaaaaah!"

She padded back toward her bedroom door, waiting for me to open it.

As she entered her bedroom, my daughter ~ at 3am ~ did a small dance and threw her arms in the air to make a grand entrance.

"TA DA!!!!!!!!!"

She then ran to her bed, jumped in, pulled the covers over her head and started to fall asleep.

And despite how tired... how bone tired I felt at that moment... I could not help but smile into the dark night as I shut her door, again, and stumbled into my bed where I slept soundly for two whole hours before our little alarm clock sounded off again.

What a (completely adorable) little nut.



No comments:

Post a Comment