Saturday, August 20, 2011

August 20, 2011 ~ Day 253
The Life We Want


I'd meant to write more during our weekend away but (happily) we got so caught up in having a good time, the writing didn't happen.

My husband and I have spent two very full days together, soaking up happy moments like sponges.

We've had our fill of peaceful uninterrupted conversation... listening to music, walking along the ocean, sleeping, catching a great live show, watching an exciting movie, discovering a delicious 'local' brewery restaurant away from the tourist zone and generally enjoying ourselves.

My guy also biked from sea level to the top of a major mountain range today ~ loving every second!

Meanwhile, I slept in. He and I have both been enjoying a little taste of heaven.

We've checked in on our kids about four times and in every single instance, they were exultant and delighted to be spending time with their babysitter and grandparents.

During one call, they couldn't even be bothered to come to the telephone, they were so busy enjoying playing a video game on their grandmother's iPad.

When we've spoken with them, they've seemed extremely happy and cheerful. My mother said they slept for nearly twelve hours straight last night... wow. She certainly has the magic touch. (I wish I could figure out how to make that happen during "normal" weeks.)

So, with our kids happy and in good hands, it has been truly possible for me to unwind. Decompress. Chill.

Spending time alone with my husband, relaxed in the knowledge that we don't have to rush home at the end of the date, has proved more blissful than I had even hoped or imagined.

These are the special times that remind me just how well we click as a couple and just how much I love my man. Things are always so easy, so smooth, when it is just the two of us. We get along very well and have so much fun together away from the pressures and stresses of daily life.

For two whole days, no worries over bills or work schedules, children getting sick or injured, children fighting with each other. No need to compromise or negotiate over which parent can have the freedom to do what they want to, when they want to.

Just us. Enjoying each other's company. Having fun, laughing, seeing new things.

It is so *easy* to live like this!

Yet, despite the myriad challenges we will return to tomorrow

(ahem, "Reality")

we are both happy and grateful to have such a precious family to return to. Our job as parents is endless, and without question the hardest thing either of us have ever committed to, but we love those three kids more than anything in the world and they are definitely worth the sacrifices we make daily for them.

Yesterday while we were driving, I asked my husband:

"Where do you think we'd be right now if we hadn't had children already?"

and he replied, "Here," and squeezed my hand.

"No, I mean... I know that we'd still be together. I mean, what do you think we'd be DOING with our lives as a couple, if we hadn't had children?"

Turning his gaze briefly from the road to my face, he smiled.

"If we didn't have kids? We'd be busy trying to have kids together."

I laughed out loud.

"Good point."

* * * * * * *

Thankfully, the life we want is the life we have.



No comments:

Post a Comment