Thursday, December 23, 2010

December 23, 2010 ~ Day 14
Life Is What Happens...

...while you're busy making plans.


Sometimes we just awaken and enter a day that turns out to have a lot of unexpected twists and turns. I guess the main thing to learn from those days is to try to let go and roll with the road as it winds.

I worked for my husband's company today until about 5:30pm. Just as I was about to take a break and begin writing this daily Meaning of Life column, our babysitter let me know that our daughter was once again refusing to eat and drink and sitting listlessly and whimpering. I took her temperature and sure enough, 103 degrees F. Again. Despite Augmentin for the past 10 days! She took the last dose yesterday night and apparently today, the fever was back in full force. So either the antibiotic did not do the job, or it is a new virus or bacteria.

Anyway, within the span of ten minutes I went from leisurely writing to scurrying across the city when our pediatrician told me over the phone to get my little girl into their office ASAP. Apparently it isn't a great sign when a fever recurs right after a "recovery" from pneumonia.

The next few hours then consisted of driving, waiting for a very long time in a sick children's waiting room, waiting for even longer in the doctor's patient room (whatever those are called) and then waiting some more to get the results of a quick swab flu test. (Negative). My daughter was pretty darn sweet and patient for a little person with a 103 degree fever but I can guarantee you that BOTH of us wished we were somewhere else.

Now we continue to wait. If the fever doesn't break in 3 days (Merry Christmas!) we are to take her to the local Children's Hospital on Dec 26th to get a chest x-ray to see if she has "a pocket of pus in her lungs that the antibiotics were unable to reach". Which they would then have to surgically drain. Ugh.

Really praying for the fever to break.

So, life today turned out yet again to be what happened when I was busy making plans to write and spend time with dear out-of-town friends. This is one of the constants I have found in my quest for the discovering the "meaning" of it all.

On a funnier, happier note - this same 18-month old daughter came into being on the exact day that my husband and I discussed - for the first time - if and when we wanted to try for a third baby. Our brief conversation went something like:

"So, we've always said we wanted three children and I'd love to be done being pregnant before I am 34 because that is when all of the risks seem to go up."

"Yeah, I think three is a good number. The real question is, are we really ready for a third yet?"

"Maybe not just yet. I think we should wait until after the holidays before we try. Why don't we think about it and then discuss again in a few months after Christmas is over?"

"That sounds good to me. We should try to figure out our budget and really plan the timing."

...and then about ten hours later, one thing led to another and our little girl was on her 34 week journey into the world.

Her life (literally!) is what happened when we were busy making plans :-)


That's all I've got for today. It's been a long, draining one. But, tomorrow is Christmas Eve and I am asking Santa for healthy kids this Christmas... so I've got high hopes for the December 24th blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment