Thursday, December 9, 2010

The meaning of the blog...

Have you ever wondered why life is so hard? Bad things seem to happen too frequently, to even the best and kindest of people. We look to our faith, family and friends to get through to a brighter time. If you are searching for meaning in the world perhaps this blog can help. From Dec 10, 2010 to Dec 10, 2011 this column will be devoted to a thoughtful daily exploration of the meaning of life... by which I mean human existence, as flawed as it can be... one day at a time.

I am a mother of three kids who suffers from a handful of chronic autoimmune conditions that seem to overlap. For the past two years it seems like I have spent far too much time on the internet searching for answers and cures. When I look back though, the events I remember though are the conversations, walks, dinners with friends, afternoons building train tracks and reading to my small children, family trips, romantic times with my husband, holidays with our family. All of the countless hours I have wasted poring away at the laptop trying to assemble a team of professionals for healing have brought together that team, but that is done now. I don't want to waste the next year in fear or sorrow. Time is precious.

None of us know how long we have been given here on Earth, what the future holds. The truth is we may have five minutes, five hours, five days, five years or fifty+ years ahead. The main thing is to make them count... to make lemonade from the lemons life gives and try to find the meaning of it all while there is still time.

Tomorrow is my 35th birthday and I look forward to devoting part of it to beginning my yearlong exploration of the meaning of life. I hope you will join me along the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment