Monday, February 14, 2011

February 14, 2011 ~ Day 67
My Valentine


I've been putting off writing about Valentine's Day because we didn't really have one this year ~ at least not yet. It isn't just that we have been completely wrapped up in moving to our new home and cleaning the old one - we also have three young children and no babysitter in our new neighborhood.

Valentine's Day just happened to be frenetically busy and I spent the entire day focused on my two sons and their respective Valentine needs... special cupcakes, cookies, treats and cards for their friends. In fact, I spent most of my day bringing gifts to people I love and basically forgot that the occasion had anything to do with romance.

What I really believe is that any day can be Valentine's Day when you are with the person you love, and that I am lucky to have love in my life. At some point my husband and I will have the opportunity to celebrate each other with a candlelit dinner, and I look forward to that evening whenever it finally happens.

I also believe that our children are the best Valentine's Day presents I could ever receive, and I feel really glad that I was able to spend the majority of my day hanging out with my eldest son - just the two of us. I took him to a special classroom Valentine's Day party which also marked his last day at the old school... and bought/brought red velvet cupcakes which looked and smelled divine.

At the end of the school day, my boy came with me to our 'old' house and helped me to pack boxes and load things into the truck for over four hours. We shared a large order of carne asada fries replete with guacamole and sour cream, and sat together side by side on the bare floor of what used to be our dining room - just eating and chatting like two old friends. It was an unexpectedly poignant moment with my little man. Any parent with three children close in age knows how rare and special it is to have a block of time alone with any one of them.

On the drive home my son reached forward from the back seat and handed me a card with a bear and a heart on it (recycled from the large bag of Valentines he had received at school). "Here mommy, will you be my Valentine?

How could I refuse such a tender offer?

"I would LOVE to be your Valentine, honey."

So while there may not have been much time for romance on the actual day of February 14, 2011... there was a vast amount of love given and received within our family of five. I think St. Valentine would approve.

No comments:

Post a Comment